1. Do you like the outward appearance of the residence and is the interior clean, attractive and free of questionable odors?
2. Were you greeted by the staff in a warm and friendly manner?
3. Were you able to speak with residents? Were you able to observe warm and friendly interactions between staff and residents?
4. Are visits with residents welcome at any time?
5. Did you discuss the resident’s needs and do you believe the staff can provide the appropriate support, including in an emergency?
6. Is the residence a continuing care, life care, or month to month? What is its licensure?
7. Were the financial requirements, contracts, and costs clearly explained?
8. Is it clear to you, under what circumstances a resident might be discharged?
9. When may a contract be terminated and what are the refund policies?
10. Does the residence accept government subsidies like SSI at residential or assisted living level and Medicare l at skilled ursing level if the resident exhausts or has no other assets?
11. Are there RNs, LVNS, and CNAs on the premises to provide for nursing and care needs? These needs may include: assistance with dressing, hygiene and grooming, transferring and mobility, bathing, toileting and incontinence, meals (cutting and encouragement), medication and treatments, using the telephone, shopping, laundry, housekeeping, transportation to doctors or hairdressers. Do you feel satisfied that the staff providing these services have sufficient training and are compassionate and responsive to residents’ needs?
12. Do you know what information, documents and tests are required by the residence prior to a move?
13. Do you have a choice about using the residence’s furniture or bringing the resident’s familiar belongings?
14. Does the residence offer RESPITE care? (temporary stay, usually 7-30 days)
15. Are the rooms private or semi-private? Does each room have a private bathroom, if appropriate?
16. Ask about telephone services, cable or satellite TV. How is billing handled?
17. Were you invited to stay for a meal? Was it pleasantly presented and tasty? Can the kitchen provide special diets as needed?
18. What is the pet policy?
19. Did you see the activity calendar? Are the activities of interest? Are there activities and outings away from the residence?
20. Would you feel comfortable as a visitor or resident there?
A Simple Transition